- Size ranges from one-fourth inch for a worker ant to up to three-fourths inch for a queen in the most common species.
- May range from red to black in color.
- Build nests in deteriorating, moist wood; often the colony will extend its nest into adjacent, sound wood.
- Are commonly found in porch pillars and roofs, window sills, telephone poles, live and dead trees, rotting logs and stumps and wood in contact with soil.
- Do not actually eat the wood removed during nest-building activities; rather, deposit it outside entrances to the colony in small piles.
Call us today to eliminate these pests!